Wednesday, March 10, 2010

the power of photography

so I was at the New York History Museum, Central Park West
awaiting a NewYorker magazine event -
to kill time went strolling about in new exhibit 'New York remembering 9/11':
two huge rooms - with lots of (printed-out-on-8x10-photo-paper) photographs -
floor to ceiling - and hanging from wires strung across the room - photos taken by civilians -
the buildings bursting
people running covered in white dust
exhausted fire fighters
politicians
thrashed cars
warzone aftermath shots on and on..

so walking amidst these many many photo, I slid camera from pocket -
the small Asian lady security guard shook her head no though
'no photography'

now, what *is it* about photography

take this scenario in point

essentially: do not take a picture of this room full of pictures ..

I guess one of the fears is that I'd go and make a poster of a picture of a picture
and some people would look at it and get sad

A while ago I I shot a ten second video of the Viennese museum as I curved down the lush stair case..

The stout security guard guy cross-examined me for quite a while - making it appear that at any second he could haul me off to jail

he made me delete the video

what is the problem here - do they think I'll go post it on youtube - and people would watch it - and, having, well, seen it, will go and rip their tickets up and hurl them laughing into the trashcan - 'the jig is up, baby - been there - done that!'

I'd chalk it up to how photography deals in truth -
and that's what grants it the power it wields -
a portrait shot can show glaringly clear into that window revealing the soul -

also there's power in that the photographer suddenly own a picture of you -
it's like a 'you' they now own in a sense and there's something to that eh

one could go on and on
yet that's a fun thing about blogs
you can snap them in 2 minutes and that's that

new fotos on website www.adamtyson.com

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive